Monday, October 14, 2013

Pumpkin Blueberry Steel-Cut Oats (for 1)




Mmmmm, nothing says fall like warm pumpkin oatmeal. I threw some blueberries in for natural sweetness, and I have to say, pumpkin and blueberries love each other. The man of the house is out doing manly things and the kids are in bed. Hence, the single serving. And I ate it in bed. Because that is how I roll. Hope you enjoy!

Pumpkin Blueberry Steel-Cut Oats (for 1)

1 c water
1/4 c uncooked steel-cut oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 c pumpkin purée
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 c frozen blueberries
Sweetener of choice

Bring water to boil and add oats, lower heat to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 12 min, then add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice (and extra water if needed). Cook 3 more minutes and remove from heat. Sweeten to taste. Transfer to bowl and add blueberries. Allow to sit for at least one minute to cool (and melt the blueberries). Devour!

I want to add walnuts next time, but I am plumb out of nuts right now except peanut butter, and that just didn't sound good to me. I love adding the blueberries at the end because they become nice and soft but still whole, so I get that burst of sweetness when I bite down. 

If you multiply the recipe, keep in mind that the regular ratio for steel-cut oats and water is 1:3, but when you make less than 1 cup of oats you usually need to increase the amount of water used. Keep an eye on the pan and if it starts to look like there isn't enough liquid, add some more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment