Thursday, August 11, 2011

We're all toddlers at heart

A friend was pleading with her blog readers to help her figure out how to tame her picky eater, and so I went to my go-to book about feeding children to see if I could find any tips for her. I stumbled across a reminder of why we're all like toddlers. The author talked about how a toddler needs 15 to 20 exposures to some foods (vegetables in particular) to learn to like them.

I am not sure adults do much better.

But since vegetables are one of the best foods for weight loss and continued health (source), what is a person to do? I mean, no one is there cooking every meal for you, offering bite after bite of brussel sprouts (which I have recently discovered, and love, btw).

That's why I love being a health coach. Because of the simplicity of this program, I have seen people transform their attitude toward food. I love watching as people expand their palate and discover the yumminess that was missing because they had not even considered the possibilities that a lot of vegetables offer.

So open your mind to the possibilities and try a new veggie dish today. You might be surprised! Here are links to a few of my recent favorites:

Simmered leeks

Butternut squash and bean tacos with green salsa (recipe on EatingWell.com) I modify a few things to make it a little healthier and suit my tastes, like using whole grain wraps instead of tortillas and no cheese, but the recipe is already pretty healthy as-is.

Roasted Eggplant Spread--an Ina Garten recipe that doesn't have a pound of butter in it :)

Eggplant and Pepper Parmesan Sandwich I didn't have goat cheese or the tapanade (not regulars in my pantry...) but this was still incredible. Roasted veggies are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment