Monday, August 8, 2011

The REAL breakfast of champions



Veggies are amazing. So amazing that I want my family to have them with every meal, including breakfast! An easy way to do that is by making green smoothies.

I've been messing around with my green smoothie recipe to get one that Daddy Badger would actually enjoy and not just endure (Baby Badger and I are easier to please when it comes to smoothies, I guess). This is the latest and we all drink it happily for our breakfast. We usually have some nuts and some toast to round it all out.

1 15 oz can no-sugar-added peaches in water
Three [very] large handfuls of fresh spinach or kale (it should nearly fill the blender)
1 banana
1 cup plain fat free yogurt
1 cup of ice
As much milled flax as you can handle ;)

Pour the peaches and liquid into the blender, puree. Add greens and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds or so. Add in banana, yogurt and flax; blend briefly to mix. Add ice and puree until smooth.

Super quick and easy, so incredibly healthy, and super tasty. If you have family members who might gag at the sight of green liquid, you can add a cup of mixed frozen berries instead of ice, which gives it a nice purple tone (but ups the price tag).

4 comments:

  1. This looks great - I think I'll make it tomorrow morning! Cindy, this is going to be a great blog. I'm excited to read about all of your expert advice! I miss you and love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, new blog, Cindy!! We love green smoothies! I haven't been able to get my little toddler to eat those yummy, dark leafy greens, yet - but I haven't despaired because I know she's at least getting it in her smoothie (which she loves). I'm excited to read your ideas! I miss you!!!

    (And yes, the way people react to this vibrant, green drink cracks me up a little bit. ;) It really is yummy, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, you're alive! :) Thanks everyone for the comments!

    ReplyDelete