Sunday, July 7, 2013

15 minute salad

Ok, no pictures today but I will be better from here on out. And I promised a friend I would post once a week, so tune in regularly for my lazy healthy recipes!

I took a great salad to a dinner with friends tonight. Romaine with roasted sweet potato and parsley vinaigrette. It turned out great, and I was totally winging it. Salad is so easy to fake, my friends! So be brave! But to give you some guidance, here is what I ended up doing:

First, from Bobby Flay, parsley vinaigrette. Original recipe here.

4 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey

1 tsp dried dill
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 a large white onion, sliced
1/4 cup tightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil


1 medium sweet potato
Seasoning salt or seasoning of choice
Olive oil to drizzle or cooking spray

Salad greens, about 4 cups
Sliced almonds, 2 handfuls (maybe 1/3 cup?)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. 


Dressing: Combine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, garlic, onion, parsley, dill, salt and pepper, to taste, and oil in a blender and blend until smooth. 

Sweet potato: cut potato in half length-wise. Slice thinly and toss with a light drizzle of oil and about 1/2 tsp seasoning salt. Spread on baking sheet and cook for 10 min or until tender and starting to brown.

Chop and wash salad greens (I chopped two heads of romaine).

Allow potatoes to cool slightly and then toss everything together.

I literally did this in 15 minutes because I fell asleep and woke up just in time to throw something together using what was on hand, which included an old sweet potato that needed to get used, and some wilting parsley from my last Bountiful Baskets order. This was enough for sides for 5, but if I were wanting to make this a meal salad I would say more like 4 servings, and I probably would have added a can of beans to beef it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment